CPM, Trinamool cross swords before EC
Kolkata: CPI(M) and the Trinamool Congress on Saturday crossed swords before the Election Commission with TC alleging that law and order in West Bengal had collapsed and the Marxists accusing the rival party of making false allegations ahead of the coming assembly elections.
CPI(M) representative Rabin Deb alleged before the full commission headed by Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi that Trinamool Congress, led by Mamata Banerjee, was making false allegations against CPI(M) and the West Bengal government to disturb the polls.
Referring to union ministers from Trinamool Congress, he said, "Some union ministers have been misleading voters by making claims about the election dates which is violative of the election code."
Trinamool Congress leader Partha Chatterjee alleged before the EC that democracy was in peril in the state as law and order had collapsed with the CPI(M) making desperate attempts to cling to power despite losing its support base.
He alleged that CPI(M) `harmads` (pirates and looters) were using police arms against Trinamool Congress workers. "CPI(M) is associating itself with criminals and are targeting our party workers with guns.
"The EC team has come at a time when our party chief is standing by those whose near and dear ones were barbarically killed by CPI(M) harmads at Lalgarh yesterday," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS