CPM urges Mamata to call meeting of all concerned
Kolkata: Opposition CPI(M) on Monday urged the Mamata Banerjee government to immediately call a meeting of "all concerned" in the hills and the plains for a solution to the issue of incorporating areas in Terai and Dooars region in Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA).
"The state government cannot shirk its responsibility as it was a signatory to the GTA agreement and it is time it calls a meeting of all concerned in the plains and the hills", the Leader of the Opposition in state assembly Suryakanta Mishra told reporters here.
Expressing concern at the violent turn of events at Odlabari and Banarhat during the day, the CPI(M) leader said "despite our reminders to the state government, it did not call the Adivasi Vikash Parishad at the time of signing the GTA accord to which the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha and the Centre were two other signatories".
Mishra offered all support of the Left Front in restoring peace and amity in the affected areas and said the state government should have the political will to resolve the issue "before it turns into a grave crisis".
Alleging that the GTA agreement was concluded "keeping the people of the state in the dark," he said, "we expressed our fear that it will give rise to new problems".
Expressing his party`s firm stand against the Gorkhaland demand in the interest of integrity of West Bengal, Mishra said, "we had already made our stand clear that maximum autonomy can be given within the framework of the Constitution."
The CPI(M) leader said the issue of incorporating new areas in GTA "has been hanging like a Damocles` Sword, but the state government has to handle it deftly and with care as there are complexities in the agreement."
Mishra appealed to all in the plains and the hills to help restore peace in the affected areas of Odlabari and Banarhat and not to get provoked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore