Crib death toll rises to 23 in Malda hospital
Kolkata: Five more babies have died since
yesterday, taking the crib death toll today to 23 in the
state-run Malda Sadar Hospital in the past one week.
Hospital sources said the five babies died between 8 pm
yesterday and 12 noon.
They said a decision was taken to increase the number of
beds in the newborn care unit to 22 from 15, besides raising
the number of beds in the neo-natal care unit and the number
of child specialists.
Hospital principal Debasish Bhattacharya said that
most of the crib deaths were cases referred from areas outside
Malda with bronchopneumonia, septicaemia and premature
He said that the hospital was overburdened with patients
two and a half times than the total number of beds.
"We have already informed the state health department
about the ordeal that patients, doctors, paramedical staff
and the employees are facing in the hospital which needs to be
seriously looked into," he said.
According to Bhattacharya, patients from neighbouring
North and South Dinajpur, Murshidabad, Jharkhand besides
Bangladesh availed of the hospital`s services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam