Crib death toll rises to 23 in Malda hospital
Kolkata: Five more babies have died since
yesterday, taking the crib death toll today to 23 in the
state-run Malda Sadar Hospital in the past one week.
Hospital sources said the five babies died between 8 pm
yesterday and 12 noon.
They said a decision was taken to increase the number of
beds in the newborn care unit to 22 from 15, besides raising
the number of beds in the neo-natal care unit and the number
of child specialists.
Hospital principal Debasish Bhattacharya said that
most of the crib deaths were cases referred from areas outside
Malda with bronchopneumonia, septicaemia and premature
He said that the hospital was overburdened with patients
two and a half times than the total number of beds.
"We have already informed the state health department
about the ordeal that patients, doctors, paramedical staff
and the employees are facing in the hospital which needs to be
seriously looked into," he said.
According to Bhattacharya, patients from neighbouring
North and South Dinajpur, Murshidabad, Jharkhand besides
Bangladesh availed of the hospital`s services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Nathan Lyon joins Muttiah Muralitharan and Harbhajan Singh in the 200-test-wicket club
- Lawless UP: Dalit couple hacked to death for Rs 15 in Mulayam Singh Yadav's bastion Mainpuri
- GST Bill: Efforts to hammer out consensus gathers momentum, likely to be tabled in Rajya Sabha next week
- Brexit shockwaves hit British jobs, consumer confidence
- Mandsaur Muslim women assault case: Four accused held as victims narrate tale of horror