Crib death toll rises to 23 in Malda hospital
Kolkata: Five more babies have died since
yesterday, taking the crib death toll today to 23 in the
state-run Malda Sadar Hospital in the past one week.
Hospital sources said the five babies died between 8 pm
yesterday and 12 noon.
They said a decision was taken to increase the number of
beds in the newborn care unit to 22 from 15, besides raising
the number of beds in the neo-natal care unit and the number
of child specialists.
Hospital principal Debasish Bhattacharya said that
most of the crib deaths were cases referred from areas outside
Malda with bronchopneumonia, septicaemia and premature
He said that the hospital was overburdened with patients
two and a half times than the total number of beds.
"We have already informed the state health department
about the ordeal that patients, doctors, paramedical staff
and the employees are facing in the hospital which needs to be
seriously looked into," he said.
According to Bhattacharya, patients from neighbouring
North and South Dinajpur, Murshidabad, Jharkhand besides
Bangladesh availed of the hospital`s services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city