Crib deaths not due to medical negligence: Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday dismissed the opposition charge that the recent crib deaths in state-run hospitals in Malda and
Murshidabad were due to medical negligence.
"In Malda, 8,000 babies are born outside hospitals. In Murshidabad too, non-institutional births run into several thousands. These babies who are brought to hospitals do not die due to negligence. But if negligence occurs, the guilty
will be punished," Banerjee told news channels.
Pointing out that a large number of women in rural areas are married off before 18, she said in most cases, their children weigh 500 to 600 gm.
"This (early marriage) is a social disease. But if they are referred to state-run hospitals, we cannot refuse them admission," she said adding those who are criticising the government over the infant deaths are doing so to "malign" it.
In Malda, Congress and CPI(M) are doing this in a planned manner, the CM alleged.
Pointing out that 70 to 80 children have died at the BC Roy Paediatric Institute during the last Left Front rule, she said "over the past eight months, however, we have been able to bring down infant mortality substantially".
As per the union government figures, Bengal now has a lower infant mortality rate than many states like Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Haryana, Jammu and Kashmir and Karnataka, Banerjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof