Custodial death: SC to hear WB’s govt`s plea against CBI
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today agreed to hear West Bengal government`s plea challenging the Calcutta High Court order for a CBI investigation into the alleged custodial death of a Trinamool Congress worker in Dhaniakhali police station area in Hooghly district.
A bench of justices A K Patnaik and Ranjan Gogoi posted the case for hearing on June 24 on the plea of the state governemnt that the case be heard urgently as CBI will soon take over the case.
The High Court had on May 13 ordered a CBI probe in the case and had directed the CID, which was investigating the case, to hand over all papers and documents with regard to the case to the central agency.
Nasiruddin, a Trinamool Congress worker, was allegedly picked up by officers of Dhaniakhali police station on January 18 from near his house in connection with a case regarding registration papers of his newly-bought small transport vehicle.
A friend of Nasiruddin was allegedly called to the police station in the late hours of January 18 and was asked to take him to hospital claiming that he was not well.
On being taken to a government hospital, the doctors declared Nasiruddin brought dead.
The state government had handed over the investigation into Nasiruddin`s death to CID following a furore over the death.
A PIL was then filed by an advocate praying for a CBI investigation claiming that a fair and impartial investigation was not possible by any state agency as the allegation was against the state police.
The High Court, upon hearing the submissions of the petitioner and the state, had criticised the pace and manner of the investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days