Cyclone scare, rains fail to dampen Ashtami spirit in Kolkata
Kolkata: Panic over the approaching Phailin cyclone and rains failed to dampen the spirit of devotees in Kolkata as they braved the wet weather to take part in the Maha Ashtami festivities on Saturday.
Amid drizzle and an overcast sky in the morning, people set out for puja pandals which were a big draw in the metropolis.
"Anjali" (prayers) was offered at the numerous pandals, which have been gorgeously decorated and have come up over the length and breadth of the city.
The traditional "Kumari Puja" was held at the Ramakrishna Mission, Belur Math.
West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan also attended the puja at the math.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy