Cyclone scare, rains fail to dampen Ashtami spirit in Kolkata
Kolkata: Panic over the approaching Phailin cyclone and rains failed to dampen the spirit of devotees in Kolkata as they braved the wet weather to take part in the Maha Ashtami festivities on Saturday.
Amid drizzle and an overcast sky in the morning, people set out for puja pandals which were a big draw in the metropolis.
"Anjali" (prayers) was offered at the numerous pandals, which have been gorgeously decorated and have come up over the length and breadth of the city.
The traditional "Kumari Puja" was held at the Ramakrishna Mission, Belur Math.
West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan also attended the puja at the math.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video