Darjeeling and Jalpaiguri hit by strike
Jalpaiguri (WB): Train services were affected and normal life hit in Darjeeling and Jalpaiguri districts on Tuesday due to a 24-hour strike called by the Dooars-Terai Joint Action Committee.
A number of trains, including an inter-city express and the Sampark Kranti Express, were held up at different parts of Jalpaiguri, officials said.
Besides large parts of the Dooars-Terai region, the towns of Bagdogra and Darjeeling are also partially affected as a result of the strike.
Rail services however continue to function in the Alipurduar line.
The committee, a forum of 26 organisations including the Akhil Bharatiya Adivasi Vikas Parishad, Intuc and KPP, called the strike to oppose the proposal of bringing Gorkha-dominated areas under the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'