Darjeeling issue: Mamata offers to negotiate
Darjeeling: Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday offered to negotiate for a political solution to the Darjeeling issue.
"If you have a political grievance, then I can negotiate. I do not agree with the mode of agitation and ideology," Banerjee told a rally here referring to a meeting yesterday with the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, including its president Bimal Gurung.
Expressing herself in favour of a political solution to the Darjeeling problem, the Trinamool Congress chief said she, "I can`t understand why the people in the Darjeeling
hills and Dooars and Terai in the plains cannot stay together."
She said when the Morcha leaders met her yesterday they told her that they wanted peace and development. "What is needed is a solid bond between the people of Darjeeling hills and the plains. There is no quarrel between the people of the hills and the plains," she said.
Making it clear that her visit was not aimed at deriving political mileage before the 2011 assembly elections in the state, she said "I have not asked them (GJM) for a Lok
She also said that she would not comment on the tripartite meetings among the Centre, the West Bengal government and the GJM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25