Darjeeling issue settled: Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee on Tuesday said that the 15-year-old Darjeeling issue was
"settled" but the GJM was mum on whether there was any
decision on its original demand for a Gorkhaland state.
"Today is a historic day. The Darjeeling issue which
has been lingering for a long period is settled at the
official-level talks. I have informed Union Home Minister P
Chidambaram," Banerjee told reporters at the Writers`
Asked about the `magic formula` that clinched the
agreement, Banerjee, who had earlier stated that she would
solve the Darjeeling problem within three months, said, "It is
our heart and good intention. The magic formula for reaching
this agreement is development."
Noting that Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh would announce
details of the nitty gritties, she said, "I have asked him to
talk to the Centre so that the agreement can be formalised at
Darjeeling where I will be present."
Asked if a financial package will be given to
Darjeeling, she retorted, "Shall I attend a wedding without a
Gift. We love the people of Darjeeling."
Later GJM general secretary Roshan Giri told reporters
that transfer of `tauji` or the right over tea gardens and
resolution of the problem of casual employees of the
Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council were reached at the meeting.
Asked about the GJM`s original demand for Gorkhaland,
Giri declined to comment.
Today was the second day of the official-level talks
in which Giri, four GJM MLAs, the chief secretary and Home
Secretary G D Gautama, were present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand