Darjeeling tripartite accord on July 18: Mamata
Kolkata: The tripartite agreement on Darjeeling involving the West Bengal and central governments, and the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) will be signed July 18, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced Friday.
Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram would attend the programme in Sukna in Darjeeling district, Banerjee said.
"Due to the untiring efforts of our officers led by the chief secretary, the central government and my brothers and sisters from Darjeeling, there is now a consensus on signing the tripartite. We will sign it on July 18," Banerjee told mediapersons here.
She said Sukna in Kurseong sub-division near the plains of Siliguri was chosen for the programme following a request from the central government.
The spot was chosen following a request from the central government to hold the programme in an area where the union home minister, who will be coming by air, can reach easily in view of the monsoon.
"They wanted to ensure that the programme was not derailed by the rains," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH