Darjeeling wears deserted look, security forces patrol streets
Darjeeling (WB): The Queen of the Hills wore a deserted look Monday with residents staying indoors as part of an agitation called by the Gorkhaland Joint Action Committee to demand formation of a Gorkhaland state.
CRPF, police and RPF jawans patrolled the streets and the railway station premises.
The people stayed indoors as part of an agitation called "ghar bitrai janta" (people inside homes).
Prabha Chetri, a central committee member of the GJM and member of the Gorkha Territorial Administration, was arrested from Kurseong last night. She was arrested for allegedly putting up road blockade, intimidating people and other cases pending against her, the police said.
More than 500 GJM supporters and leaders have been arrested so far in the Darjeeling hills, the sources said.
Shops and other commercial establishments are closed and so are schools, colleges and other educational institutions.
Exemption, however, was made for an examination for the primary teacher`s training being held at Ramakrishna BT college and Darjeeling Municipal Boys school.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Reduced oxygen can cause childhood heart disease
- Premier Futsal: Goa 5's outclass Bengaluru 5's 3-0, seal semi-final spot
- Scientists reconstruct detailed 3D eyes from single photo
- Santander pips BBVA: Eurozone`s largest bank becomes La Liga's newest sponsors
- US sanctions target Assad regime's arms, finance networks