Darjeeling wears deserted look, security forces patrol streets
Darjeeling (WB): The Queen of the Hills wore a deserted look Monday with residents staying indoors as part of an agitation called by the Gorkhaland Joint Action Committee to demand formation of a Gorkhaland state.
CRPF, police and RPF jawans patrolled the streets and the railway station premises.
The people stayed indoors as part of an agitation called "ghar bitrai janta" (people inside homes).
Prabha Chetri, a central committee member of the GJM and member of the Gorkha Territorial Administration, was arrested from Kurseong last night. She was arrested for allegedly putting up road blockade, intimidating people and other cases pending against her, the police said.
More than 500 GJM supporters and leaders have been arrested so far in the Darjeeling hills, the sources said.
Shops and other commercial establishments are closed and so are schools, colleges and other educational institutions.
Exemption, however, was made for an examination for the primary teacher`s training being held at Ramakrishna BT college and Darjeeling Municipal Boys school.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review