Darjeeling wears deserted look, security forces patrol streets
Darjeeling (WB): The Queen of the Hills wore a deserted look Monday with residents staying indoors as part of an agitation called by the Gorkhaland Joint Action Committee to demand formation of a Gorkhaland state.
CRPF, police and RPF jawans patrolled the streets and the railway station premises.
The people stayed indoors as part of an agitation called "ghar bitrai janta" (people inside homes).
Prabha Chetri, a central committee member of the GJM and member of the Gorkha Territorial Administration, was arrested from Kurseong last night. She was arrested for allegedly putting up road blockade, intimidating people and other cases pending against her, the police said.
More than 500 GJM supporters and leaders have been arrested so far in the Darjeeling hills, the sources said.
Shops and other commercial establishments are closed and so are schools, colleges and other educational institutions.
Exemption, however, was made for an examination for the primary teacher`s training being held at Ramakrishna BT college and Darjeeling Municipal Boys school.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble