Darjeeling wears deserted look, security forces patrol streets
Darjeeling (WB): The Queen of the Hills wore a deserted look Monday with residents staying indoors as part of an agitation called by the Gorkhaland Joint Action Committee to demand formation of a Gorkhaland state.
CRPF, police and RPF jawans patrolled the streets and the railway station premises.
The people stayed indoors as part of an agitation called "ghar bitrai janta" (people inside homes).
Prabha Chetri, a central committee member of the GJM and member of the Gorkha Territorial Administration, was arrested from Kurseong last night. She was arrested for allegedly putting up road blockade, intimidating people and other cases pending against her, the police said.
More than 500 GJM supporters and leaders have been arrested so far in the Darjeeling hills, the sources said.
Shops and other commercial establishments are closed and so are schools, colleges and other educational institutions.
Exemption, however, was made for an examination for the primary teacher`s training being held at Ramakrishna BT college and Darjeeling Municipal Boys school.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you