Death sentence does not serve as deterrent: Amartya Sen
Kolkata: Amid the nationwide debate over giving rapists the death penalty, Nobel prize winning economist Amartya Sen is not in favour of capital punishment, saying it does not serve as a "deterrent" and "preventive function".
Sen at the same time said today he was not against "severe punishment" in critical cases.
In an oblique reference to the Delhi gang-rape case, he said, "I am not for letting them (culprits) go."
"Death sentences do not serve as a deterrent and its efficacy as a capital punishment is doubted based on empirical grounds and is not a preventive function," Sen said addressing a seminar on `Realisation of Justice` organised by the Calcutta High Court here.
Sen said, in India, awarding of death sentences was much lower than China where it was the highest in the world.
"In India, death sentences are awarded, but not executed except for recently in the case of Mumbai attacks," he said.
"I am not against severe punishment in case of critical cases," he added.
In the course of his lecture, he also referred to the Sanskrit play Mrichhakatika (The Little Clay Cart) where Charu Datta set the criminals free instead of punishing them.
"The play showed that tit-for-tat justice does not bring well to the world in the realms of prosperity, happiness and security for all," Sen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days