Death toll in Stephen Court fire rises to 42
Kolkata: Eight more bodies were Monday recovered during the clearing of debris at the landmark Stephen Court building which had caught fire on March 23, raising the death toll to 42.
Two of the bodies were found in the early hours, Commissioner of Kolkata Police Gautam Mohan Chakraborty said.
"Six more bodies were found during the day from the fifth floor of the building," Additional Director General (Fire Service), Debapriya Biswas told reporters.
Police said there could be more bodies buried in the debris.
"The search operation is on. I cannot say right now whether this is the total figure. There is every possibility that some more bodies are lying under the debris," Joint Commissioner of Police (Headquarters) Jawed Shamim said.
The bodies were sent for post-mortem, he said.
The police commissioner had said earlier that FIRs were filed for 37 missing persons.
Over 100 workers of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation were engaged in clearing the debris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days