Death toll in Stephen Court fire rises to 42
Kolkata: Eight more bodies were Monday recovered during the clearing of debris at the landmark Stephen Court building which had caught fire on March 23, raising the death toll to 42.
Two of the bodies were found in the early hours, Commissioner of Kolkata Police Gautam Mohan Chakraborty said.
"Six more bodies were found during the day from the fifth floor of the building," Additional Director General (Fire Service), Debapriya Biswas told reporters.
Police said there could be more bodies buried in the debris.
"The search operation is on. I cannot say right now whether this is the total figure. There is every possibility that some more bodies are lying under the debris," Joint Commissioner of Police (Headquarters) Jawed Shamim said.
The bodies were sent for post-mortem, he said.
The police commissioner had said earlier that FIRs were filed for 37 missing persons.
Over 100 workers of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation were engaged in clearing the debris.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!