Debjani played a vital role in Saradha
Kolkata: Debjani Mukherjee, one of the directors of chitfund Saradha group who was arrested along with its chairman in Kashmir, played an important role in the decision making process of the company, Bidhanagar city police which is investigating its ponzi scheme, on Thursday claimed.
"As per the initial results we had come to know that Debjani had played a role in the decision making process of Saradha. Investigation is on," said Arnab Ghosh, deputy commissioner, Bidhannagar City police.
Sudipta Sen, the company chairman and the main accused in the multi-crore chit fund scam, and Mukherjee and company official Arvind Singh Chouhan brought here yesterday on transit remand from Kashmir, were today remanded to 14 days in police custody.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate A H M Rahman of Bidhannagar remanded them in police custody when the three were produced before him during the day.
Asked why the other directors of Saradha group were not arrested, Ghosh said "We have started questioning them.
"Besides, being a director doesn`t mean that he was in the decision process. Hemant Pradhan, a cook in Saradha chief Sudipta Sen`s house was also a director but he himself was not aware of it."
Thousands of agents and depositors have been duped of crores of rupees by the group which had promised them high returns on the money deposited in its companies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie