Debt-ridden family of three commits suicide in Hoogly
Kolkata: Unable to get out of a debt trap, three members of a family committed suicide in West Bengal`s Hooghly district, police said on Sunday.
The bodies of Samir Nandi, 70, his wife Sangita Nandi, 65, and son Ujjal Nandi, 32, were found hanging from the ceiling fan hooks in their Chandannagar house by the police Saturday.
The police were called by the neighbours of the Nandi family after a foul smell started coming from their house.
"Primarily, it seems they had huge debts. They had taken huge loans to expand their business, which failed. So unable to pay back the loan, they took their lives. But we are investigating to ascertain whether there is some foul play behind it," said Chandannagar sub-divisional police officer Amitava Maity.
Samir Nandi was an engineer but took voluntary retirement a few years back to try his luck in business. His son Ujjal helped him run the business.
"Their business was not running well for the past few months. Both Samir and Ujjal were mentally upset but that they would take this extreme step was beyond my imagination," said Prasanta Das, a neighbour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL