Decomposed body of minor girl found in Bengal
Kolkata: A highly decomposed body of a minor girl suspected to be murdered was recovered Saturday in West Bengal`s Murshidabad district, police said.
The 16-year-old resident of Sonadanga village under Ranitala police station in the district was missing since Tuesday.
"We have recovered a highly decomposed body of a girl Saturday morning," said Superintendent of Police Humayun Kabir adding that around five people are suspected to be involved in murdering the girl.
The body has been sent for postmortem.
Though a formal complaint has not been lodged, the girl`s family alleged that she was raped before being murdered.
The incident comes at a time when the state government is facing flak over twin instances of gang-rape and murder within a fortnight.
In the first case, a 20-year-old woman was abducted, gang-raped and murdered June 7 in Barasat of North 24 Parganas district while in the second incident, a 14-year-old girl was gang-raped and murdered in Nadia district.
The National Crime Records Bureau in its latest report has put West Bengal atop the chart concerning atrocities against women. According to the agency 30,942 incidents of crime against women were recorded in the state in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY