Defence Minister Jaitley visits Behrampore military station
New Delhi: Taking stock of military capability building along the China border, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley on Sunday visited the Behrampore military station in Murshidabad which will part of the new Mountain Strike Corps being raised there.
"The Defence Minister visited the eastern theatre and was briefed on the upcoming Behrampore Military Station, in Murshidabad District of West Bengal," an Army statement aid.
India is raising the new 17 Mountain Strike Corps along the China border and its headquarters will be in Panagarh in West Bengal.
Its formations would be scattered from Ladakh in Jammu and Kashmir to Arunachal Pradesh. Army Chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag long with Eastern Army Commander Lt Gen MMS Rai were also present during the briefing to the Defence Minister.
"The Rs 600-crore project in the 250-acre land is set to be an eco-friendly `model military camp` that will be replicated in all future infrastructural developments of similar military stations wherever feasible," the Army said.
Located nearly mid-way between Kolkata and Siliguri, the military station, when ready will also help boost the local economy in the area.
The Army Chief also visited Panagarh Military Camp where he took stock of on going preparations for raising of the Army`s Strike Corps.
Suhag will now visit forward positions along the Chinese frontier in Arunachal Pradesh and other areas.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today
- Baaghi tweet review: First day first show!