Demand for CBI probe into West Bengal chit fund scam
New Delhi: A demand for a CBI inquiry into the chit fund scam in West Bengal and adjoining states was made in the Rajya Sabha today amid protest by Trinamool Congress members that the matter, which is subjudice, cannot be taken up in the House.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Prashant Chatterjee (CPI-M) said chit fund companies in West Bengal have cheated residents of the state and no action has been initiated against them.
He said a member of the House Kunal Ghosh was also arrested in this connection and demanded that a CBI inquiry be conducted on the issue, which was strongly opposed by Trinamool members Derek O`Brien and Sukhendu Sekhar Roy.
"We demand a CBI inquiry into the issue of chit fund scam. A member of this House Kunal Ghosh has also been arrested in connection with the Saradha chit fund scam," Chatterjee said amid the din created by TMC members.
Raising a Point of Order, Roy said, "a subjudice matter cannot be taken up in the House," while objecting to reference of TMC member`s name in the House.
Rejecting the Point of Order, Deputy Chairman P J Kurien said it has already been permitted by the Chairman but said he will expunge any remark which is against norms or is unparliamentary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you