Deranged youth plummets to death in West Bengal
Kolkata: A mentally challenged youth fell to his death after climbing atop a building in West Bengal, police said Sunday.
Following allegations that the youth died due to "faulty" rescue efforts, a probe has been ordered.
"We have received complaints that a water cannon was used while trying to bring him down. Unfortunately, he fell down and died. I have ordered the director general (fire) to conduct an inquiry into the incident," Fire Services Minister Javed Khan said.
The youth climbed atop a residential building in Purulia town, some 250 km from here, and started pelting stones at passersby late Saturday. After attempts by family members failed, they informed the police.
"Instead of using a ladder to bring him down, the firemen aimed a water cannon at him which terrified him and he slipped and fell down. He died because of the firemen," alleged a family member of the youth.
Senior fire department official in Purulia Sudip Chatterjee, however, denied the allegations.
"The water canon was not directed at him and was used only to deter him from pelting stones. He jumped off the building of his own. The family members are making false accusations," Chatterjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Major blow for Samajwadi Party as its general secretary joins BJP with 200 colleagues
- Truck set on fire by angry villagers after they saw blood spilling out of it, found 30 cows dead
- Want to book DDA community halls? Now, you can do it in 15 minutes - Know how
- Five dead, 20 injured as truck collides with tanker in UP's Lucknow - Know what happened
- BJP MP Maheish Girri to file defamation case against Arvind Kejriwal?