Deranged youth plummets to death in West Bengal
Kolkata: A mentally challenged youth fell to his death after climbing atop a building in West Bengal, police said Sunday.
Following allegations that the youth died due to "faulty" rescue efforts, a probe has been ordered.
"We have received complaints that a water cannon was used while trying to bring him down. Unfortunately, he fell down and died. I have ordered the director general (fire) to conduct an inquiry into the incident," Fire Services Minister Javed Khan said.
The youth climbed atop a residential building in Purulia town, some 250 km from here, and started pelting stones at passersby late Saturday. After attempts by family members failed, they informed the police.
"Instead of using a ladder to bring him down, the firemen aimed a water cannon at him which terrified him and he slipped and fell down. He died because of the firemen," alleged a family member of the youth.
Senior fire department official in Purulia Sudip Chatterjee, however, denied the allegations.
"The water canon was not directed at him and was used only to deter him from pelting stones. He jumped off the building of his own. The family members are making false accusations," Chatterjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!