Detained CPI-M leaders released by police
Siliguri (WB): Senior CPI-M leaders Ashok Bhattacharya and Jibesh Sarkar, who were detained from the party office here in connection with the alleged attack on a Trinamool Congress procession, were released today.
Siliguri police commissioner Anand Kumar told PTI that the two leaders were detained for their own protection as a mob of Trinamool Congress and CPI-M workers clashed outside the party office Anil Biswas Bhavan yesterday.
"Ashok Bhattacharya and Jibesh Sarkar were not arrested but only detained. They were released today morning," he said.
Bhattacharya is a CPI-M state committee member and was urban development minister in the erstwhile Left Front government and Sarkar is a member of the Darjeeling district committee.
Bhattacharya said over phone that he and Sarkar were released around 7 AM. They had refused to return home and demanded to know the charges against them.
"The police had wanted to free us yesterday itself but we had demanded to know the reason of our detention," he said.
A policeman and three journalists were among those injured in the clash between TMC supporters, who took out a procession against the attack on Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Finance Minister Amit Mitra by SFI in Delhi, and the CPI-M. The clash ensued when glass bottles filled with liquid were allegedly thrown at the procession from the CPI-M office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch