Dhoni, Kalam promos may be used for Bengal election campaign
Kolkata: With the Election Commission yet
to decide on using a promotional video by cricketer Sourav
Ganguly for the coming election in West Bengal, the electoral
office here is mulling using promos by Team India captain
Mahendra Singh Dhoni and former president APJ Abdul Kalam.
The awareness videos featuring Dhoni and Kalam were
used during the recently-held Bihar and Jharkhand elections as
part of the EC`s campaign to motivate electors to vote.
"The election commission office in Bihar has shared
the promos by Dhoni and Kalam with us and we are thinking of
using them in case we do not get the clearance for Sourav
Ganguly`s," Joint Chief Electoral Officer Dibyendu Sarkar told
Sarkar said that Sourav was also keen to communicate
with the EC to know the fate of his promotional video which
was ordered not to be shown till further order.
Ganguly`s promo ran into trouble after the Trinamool
Congress raised objection, alleging that the former India
captain was politically affiliated to the ruling CPI-M.
The Opposition party further complained that Ganguly
had previously worked as brand ambassadors for several
government departments including the West Bengal Industrial
The controversy arose when Urban Development Minister
Ashok Bhattacharya, belonging to CPI-M, claimed that Ganguly
would campaign for him in the elections.
A CD containing the minister`s observations was sent
to the EC. However, the EC office here after a scrutiny of the
CD submitted a general observation with the EC that it didn`t
find any truth of association of Ganguly with any political
Ganguly and percussionist Bikram Ghosh were selected
by the Election Commission to feature in promotional videos
for telecast on major channels to create interest among people
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog