Dhoni, Kalam promos may be used for Bengal election campaign
Kolkata: With the Election Commission yet
to decide on using a promotional video by cricketer Sourav
Ganguly for the coming election in West Bengal, the electoral
office here is mulling using promos by Team India captain
Mahendra Singh Dhoni and former president APJ Abdul Kalam.
The awareness videos featuring Dhoni and Kalam were
used during the recently-held Bihar and Jharkhand elections as
part of the EC`s campaign to motivate electors to vote.
"The election commission office in Bihar has shared
the promos by Dhoni and Kalam with us and we are thinking of
using them in case we do not get the clearance for Sourav
Ganguly`s," Joint Chief Electoral Officer Dibyendu Sarkar told
Sarkar said that Sourav was also keen to communicate
with the EC to know the fate of his promotional video which
was ordered not to be shown till further order.
Ganguly`s promo ran into trouble after the Trinamool
Congress raised objection, alleging that the former India
captain was politically affiliated to the ruling CPI-M.
The Opposition party further complained that Ganguly
had previously worked as brand ambassadors for several
government departments including the West Bengal Industrial
The controversy arose when Urban Development Minister
Ashok Bhattacharya, belonging to CPI-M, claimed that Ganguly
would campaign for him in the elections.
A CD containing the minister`s observations was sent
to the EC. However, the EC office here after a scrutiny of the
CD submitted a general observation with the EC that it didn`t
find any truth of association of Ganguly with any political
Ganguly and percussionist Bikram Ghosh were selected
by the Election Commission to feature in promotional videos
for telecast on major channels to create interest among people
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi