Diesel hike: Bus unions demand fare increase
Kolkata: In the wake of the abrupt Rs 5 hike in diesel prices, bus and minibus operators in West Bengal on Friday threatened to go on an indefinite strike if fares were not immediately raised.
"How will we run buses if we don`t have the money? With an increase of Rs 5 per litre, it is next to impossible for us to run buses under this current fare structure. The fares have to be increased," said Aboshesh Da of a minibus union.
"The state government should leave its ignorance in the matter of increasing fares because if the fares are not increased we the bus owners will simply die. Today, we are having a meeting then we will announce our final decision."
The Union government on Thursday announced a hike in diesel price by Rs 5 a litre and restricted availability of subsidised cooking gas cylinders per family to six per year. The decisions came into effect midnight Thursday.
"In my entire life I have never seen such a sharp rise in diesel prices. The state government has to increase the bus fares with immediate effect because if it is not increased most of the buses will stop plying. Already several buses have stopped plying," said Sadhan Das of Joint Council of Bus Syndicate.
Asked what bus operators would do if the state government refused to hike fares, Das said: "Then we have no other option other than going on an indefinite strike."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in