Diesel price hike inhuman: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday termed as "unfortunate" and "anti-people" the hike in diesel price and demanded its immediate rollback in the interest of the common people.
"Unfortunate, unfortunate, unfortunate. Yet another anti-people decision has been taken by the UPA government. Diesel prices have been deregulated suddenly. Immediately, there has been an increase of diesel prices by about 40-50 paise per litre, which will severely affect the common people and prices of essential commodities," she said in her Facebook post today.
"I have also come to know that the decision has been conveyed through a `secret` communication. What is `secret` about price rise, which affects the common people? This is nothing but cheating", she said.
"I have never heard a `secret` price hike. It is never a man-like decision. It is an inhuman decision," Banerjee claimed.
"It is too much... We strongly oppose this anti-people decision. We demand an immediate rollback of the price hike in the interest of the common people," she wrote.
"Sad, bad, very sad, very bad, and very very what not! For bulk purchase, diesel has become costlier by Rs 11 from today. It is affecting State Transport Undertakings and creating an additional burden of Rs 40 crore upon them. The common people use public transport not only in the cities but also in the far-flung and remote areas, especially villages," she said.
Earlier addressing a rally at Haringhata in Nadia district today, Banerjee while criticising the diesel price hike described the UPA government as an `exploiter` of the poor.
"This government is an exploiter of the poor people. It is very distressing that prices of diesel have been further increased," Banerjee said at a government programme in Haringhata.
"After hike in rail fares and the price of petrol, the rise in diesel prices will add to the woes of the common man groaning under the impact of the price rise," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India