Diesel price hike inhuman: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday termed as "unfortunate" and "anti-people" the hike in diesel price and demanded its immediate rollback in the interest of the common people.
"Unfortunate, unfortunate, unfortunate. Yet another anti-people decision has been taken by the UPA government. Diesel prices have been deregulated suddenly. Immediately, there has been an increase of diesel prices by about 40-50 paise per litre, which will severely affect the common people and prices of essential commodities," she said in her Facebook post today.
"I have also come to know that the decision has been conveyed through a `secret` communication. What is `secret` about price rise, which affects the common people? This is nothing but cheating", she said.
"I have never heard a `secret` price hike. It is never a man-like decision. It is an inhuman decision," Banerjee claimed.
"It is too much... We strongly oppose this anti-people decision. We demand an immediate rollback of the price hike in the interest of the common people," she wrote.
"Sad, bad, very sad, very bad, and very very what not! For bulk purchase, diesel has become costlier by Rs 11 from today. It is affecting State Transport Undertakings and creating an additional burden of Rs 40 crore upon them. The common people use public transport not only in the cities but also in the far-flung and remote areas, especially villages," she said.
Earlier addressing a rally at Haringhata in Nadia district today, Banerjee while criticising the diesel price hike described the UPA government as an `exploiter` of the poor.
"This government is an exploiter of the poor people. It is very distressing that prices of diesel have been further increased," Banerjee said at a government programme in Haringhata.
"After hike in rail fares and the price of petrol, the rise in diesel prices will add to the woes of the common man groaning under the impact of the price rise," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM