Director of Stephen Court surrenders
Kolkata: Nearly seven months after a fire devastated the 150-year-old Stephen Court claiming 43 lives, one of the building`s three directors and a prime accused in
the case surrendered in court on Friday.
"Pradip More, the last of the three directors surrendered before the metropolitan court on Friday," Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Damayanti Sen said.
Altogether 43 people were killed in the blaze that swept through top three floors of the multi-storeyed building housing offices and residences on upscale Park Street on March
The police had filed a charge sheet against six persons including the three directors of the building -Sanjay Bagaria, Sushil Surekha and More. Tarun Bagaria (caretaker), Ram Shankar Singh (pump operator) and Joy Prakash Singh (lift man) were arrested on March 23, while director Bagaria was arrested from Lucknow on August 25.
Another director Surekha had surrendered before the metropolitan court on September 17. With the surrender of more, all the accused named in the charge sheet by the police are in custody.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- AP Board SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro
- Terror attack foiled in Saudi Arabia
- US puts Germany, China on watchlist for economic surpluses