Director of Stephen Court surrenders
Kolkata: Nearly seven months after a fire devastated the 150-year-old Stephen Court claiming 43 lives, one of the building`s three directors and a prime accused in
the case surrendered in court on Friday.
"Pradip More, the last of the three directors surrendered before the metropolitan court on Friday," Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Damayanti Sen said.
Altogether 43 people were killed in the blaze that swept through top three floors of the multi-storeyed building housing offices and residences on upscale Park Street on March
The police had filed a charge sheet against six persons including the three directors of the building -Sanjay Bagaria, Sushil Surekha and More. Tarun Bagaria (caretaker), Ram Shankar Singh (pump operator) and Joy Prakash Singh (lift man) were arrested on March 23, while director Bagaria was arrested from Lucknow on August 25.
Another director Surekha had surrendered before the metropolitan court on September 17. With the surrender of more, all the accused named in the charge sheet by the police are in custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says