`Disillusioned` WB AAP members to float separate outfit?
Kolkata: Disillusioned over the party`s indecisiveness about finalising candidates for the Lok Sabha polls in West Bengal, a section of the AAP in the state is planning to break away and float another outfit to achieve its goals of swaraj and fighting against corruption.
One of the chief organisers of the Aam Aadmi Party in the state, Kazi Masum Akhter Thursday said a large section of party members is disillusioned with the central leadership`s attitude towards the state unit and are mulling breaking away to form an All India Aam Aadmi Party.
"Not much time is left for the polls but the central leadership has shown no inclination about finalising candidates for the state. Moreover, despite repeated requests by several senior members, no attempt has been made to prevent infighting and factionalism within the AAP here," Akhter said.
Holding several meetings with party members and volunteers, AAP general secretary Pankaj Gupta March 9 had asserted that the party would contest 8-10 seats and claiming the candidates` names will be announced soon.
"It`s been a week since Gupta said the candidate list will be announced, but nothing has happened. We suggested several names including that of Nazrul Islam and Kabir Suman but the central leadership is not willing to pay heed," said Akhter.
"A large section of AAP members are completely disillusioned and we are working towards creating the All India AAP and plan to launch it within a week," added Akhter.
Despite repeated approach by AAP members, former Indian Police Service officer Nazrul Islam, known for his antipathy towards Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, has refused to join saying he was not in a hurry to join politics, while Trinamool Congress rebel MP Suman, denied a ticket by his own party, is mulling contesting the polls as an independent.
AAP volunteer Jaswant Singh too admitted existence of "factionalism" within the state unit but asserted that the candidates for the polls will be announced soon.
"We had a detailed discussion with Gupta in this regard and he has assured us that the candidates will be duly announced at an appropriate time. As regards factionalism, difference of opinion in a democratic organisation is bound to occur. But that doesn`t warrant floating a separate organisation," said Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says