Dissident TMC MP sides with Congress
Kolkata: Dissident Trinamool Congress MP Somen Mitra, who had hinted to leave the party in January, on Saturday sided with Congress, saying that people of Bengal will support Congress looking at the present situation.
Mitra, who shared the dais with West Bengal Pradesh Congress Committee president Pradip Bhattacharya at a programme here, said he was not leaving TMC for any gain.
"Otherwise I would not have shunned the TMC," Mitra said at the programme.
Mitra, however, did not say which party he will join in the event of his "quitting the TMC".
Mitra, who said allegations of corruption (against UPA government rpt UPA government) on various issues would not cut much ice in Lok Sabha polls, asserted, "People of Bengal will continue to support Congress looking at the present situation."
The former WBPCC president had said in November at Bolpur that, "I am still an MP of Trinamool Congress. So I have already decided to leave but it will be effective only when I quit as an MP."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof