Dissident TMC MP sides with Congress
Kolkata: Dissident Trinamool Congress MP Somen Mitra, who had hinted to leave the party in January, on Saturday sided with Congress, saying that people of Bengal will support Congress looking at the present situation.
Mitra, who shared the dais with West Bengal Pradesh Congress Committee president Pradip Bhattacharya at a programme here, said he was not leaving TMC for any gain.
"Otherwise I would not have shunned the TMC," Mitra said at the programme.
Mitra, however, did not say which party he will join in the event of his "quitting the TMC".
Mitra, who said allegations of corruption (against UPA government rpt UPA government) on various issues would not cut much ice in Lok Sabha polls, asserted, "People of Bengal will continue to support Congress looking at the present situation."
The former WBPCC president had said in November at Bolpur that, "I am still an MP of Trinamool Congress. So I have already decided to leave but it will be effective only when I quit as an MP."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city