Dissident Trinamool MP shares dais with state Congress chief
Kolkata: Dissident Trinamool Congress MP Somen Mitra on Tuesday once again shared a dais with state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharjee, fuelling speculations of switching over to the Congress before the Lok Sabha polls.
Mitra, a former state Congress president, was spotted with Bhattacharjee and other Congress leaders at several Durga Puja inauguration functions today.
His appearance with Congress leaders comes in the backdrop of TMC`s diktat to all its leaders to refrain from sharing dais with Congress leaders.
In one such Durga Puja inauguration in central Kolkata, Mitra`s wife Shikha, a suspended MLA of the TMC, was also present.
"We share an emotional bond with Congress party. You can`t express that bond in words. When my husband (Somen Mitra) suffered a heart attack, Congress president Sonia Gandhi personally called me up to assure me that she is with us, if we needed any help. How can we forget that gesture? It is a personal and emotional bond," said Sikha Mitra when asked about their sharing dais with Congress leaders.
Shikha was suspended from the TMC in December last for criticising the party at a function at the state Congress office on July 1 where she had gone to attend a programme on the occasion of the birthday of former chief minister B C Ray. Her husband Somen Mitra was seen with Congress leaders several times recently.
On the speculations of their switching over to the Congress, she said, "This is Puja programme. We would talk about this later."
TMC`s dissident Rajya Sabha MP Kunal Ghosh, whose name has cropped up in the Saradha chit fund scam, was suspended last month for making anti-party statements.
Ghosh, considered to be close to Somen Mitra, had made those statements at a programme, where Mitra along with two other party MPs were present. Those two MPs, actors Tapas Paul and Shatabdi Roy, who had also hit out at the leadership, however, were spared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM