Division of West Bengal will not be allowed: Mamata
Naxalbari: Attacking the BJP of trying to create fresh unrest in Darjeeling to divide West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said it would not be allowed while she was alive.
"We have brought back peace in Darjeeling. BJP which aligned with Congress to divide Andhra Pradesh is trying to create fresh unrest in Darjeeling. Their excuse is that small states can be governed better. They are now planning to divide Bengal too on the same pretext," Banerjee told an election meeting here.
"Even at the cost of my life, they cannot divide Bengal," she declared stating that the hills were a part of the state.
Referring to 2009 Lok Sabha polls when Jaswant Singh won the Darjeeling seat as a BJP nominee with the backing of GJM, Banerjee said, "Did not the BJP promise to you five years ago of dividing Bengal? They have come again and are saying the same thing."
Stating that the people of the plains and hills were like brothers and sisters, she said, "Can a mother divide her son? Can a heart be separated? Do not give a single vote to BJP."
She also criticised Gorkha Janmukti Morcha leaders.
"We have given them (GJM) the administration through the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration which has been formed there," she said.
She described party candidate Bhaichung Bhutia, the former Indian football captain as an asset for the state.
"I think he will be able to discharge responsibilities well if he is elected."
Bhutia is pitted against senior BJP leader S S Ahluwalia for the Lok Sabha Darjeeling seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31