Don`t cross `Lakshmana Rekha`, Mamata warns media
Kolkata: Accusing a section of the media of interfering in the work of police by "cooking up stories", West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Thursday warned it not to cross the "Lakshmana Rekha".
"The Kolkata Police have been doing a good job and should be appreciated. But they (media) don`t have any work other than maligning the police," said Banerjee at a city police programme here.
Banerjee, who has been virtually at war with a section of the media, said even trivial matters concerning police were being highlighted as major issues, which eventually was hampering the force`s image.
"Even if a constable is transferred they would cook up some story about why he was transferred. You (the media) also have a management in your office. And the management decides who should work where. They transfer people accordingly. Similarly, the police too have an administration which decides what is to be done," she said.
Banerjee went on to warn that if the media continued to cross the "Lakshmana Rekha", then it would be at the mercy of "Raavan".
"You cannot interfere in all business. You just cannot do it. Everything has a Lakshmana Rekha, which you cannot cross. Don`t forget when you cross the Lakshmana Rekha, then you are at the mercy of Raavan. Kindly don`t do that," warned Banerjee.
According to the Ramayana, Rama`s brother Lakshmana had drawn a line (Lakshmana Rekha) to protect Sita - Rama`s wife. But Sita did not pay heed to Lakshmana`s warning not to cross the line and was eventually abducted by demon king Raavan when she crossed the line.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know