Don`t cross `Lakshmana Rekha`, Mamata warns media
Kolkata: Accusing a section of the media of interfering in the work of police by "cooking up stories", West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Thursday warned it not to cross the "Lakshmana Rekha".
"The Kolkata Police have been doing a good job and should be appreciated. But they (media) don`t have any work other than maligning the police," said Banerjee at a city police programme here.
Banerjee, who has been virtually at war with a section of the media, said even trivial matters concerning police were being highlighted as major issues, which eventually was hampering the force`s image.
"Even if a constable is transferred they would cook up some story about why he was transferred. You (the media) also have a management in your office. And the management decides who should work where. They transfer people accordingly. Similarly, the police too have an administration which decides what is to be done," she said.
Banerjee went on to warn that if the media continued to cross the "Lakshmana Rekha", then it would be at the mercy of "Raavan".
"You cannot interfere in all business. You just cannot do it. Everything has a Lakshmana Rekha, which you cannot cross. Don`t forget when you cross the Lakshmana Rekha, then you are at the mercy of Raavan. Kindly don`t do that," warned Banerjee.
According to the Ramayana, Rama`s brother Lakshmana had drawn a line (Lakshmana Rekha) to protect Sita - Rama`s wife. But Sita did not pay heed to Lakshmana`s warning not to cross the line and was eventually abducted by demon king Raavan when she crossed the line.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash