Don`t cross `Lakshmana Rekha`, Mamata warns media
Kolkata: Accusing a section of the media of interfering in the work of police by "cooking up stories", West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Thursday warned it not to cross the "Lakshmana Rekha".
"The Kolkata Police have been doing a good job and should be appreciated. But they (media) don`t have any work other than maligning the police," said Banerjee at a city police programme here.
Banerjee, who has been virtually at war with a section of the media, said even trivial matters concerning police were being highlighted as major issues, which eventually was hampering the force`s image.
"Even if a constable is transferred they would cook up some story about why he was transferred. You (the media) also have a management in your office. And the management decides who should work where. They transfer people accordingly. Similarly, the police too have an administration which decides what is to be done," she said.
Banerjee went on to warn that if the media continued to cross the "Lakshmana Rekha", then it would be at the mercy of "Raavan".
"You cannot interfere in all business. You just cannot do it. Everything has a Lakshmana Rekha, which you cannot cross. Don`t forget when you cross the Lakshmana Rekha, then you are at the mercy of Raavan. Kindly don`t do that," warned Banerjee.
According to the Ramayana, Rama`s brother Lakshmana had drawn a line (Lakshmana Rekha) to protect Sita - Rama`s wife. But Sita did not pay heed to Lakshmana`s warning not to cross the line and was eventually abducted by demon king Raavan when she crossed the line.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown