Durga Puja ends in Bengal with idol immersion
Kolkata: Braving the downpour, people thronged Durga puja pandals to offer their tributes to the goddess on the last day of the five-day festivity.
Teary eyed devotees bade an emotional farewell as idols of goddess Durga and her four children -- Lakshmi, Saraswati, Ganesha and Kartik -- were immersed in ponds, lakes and rivers of West Bengal on Vijaya Dashami Monday.
Married women decked in the ritualistic red-and-white sarees marked the event with the customary "Sindoor Khela" or smearing each other and the idols with red vermillion to prepare the goddess and her clan for their long journey home, as dhaaks (traditional drums) played on in the background.
There was a festive look on the banks of the Ganges and other water bodies, with spirited chants of "Bolo Durga Mai Ki Jai" adding to the fervour.
Children, the young and the elderly joined hands to slowly put the idols into the water as they wished for her return next year.
People offered sweets to the goddess and prayed for the well-being of their families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- LIVE: Indian Army destroys 7 terror launch pads across Line of Control; all-party meeting at 4 pm