Duronto passengers stop train after AC system stops working
Kolkata: The Howrah-bound 12848 Digha-Howrah Duronto Express was stopped at the Kanthi railway station after passengers complained of failure of the air-conditioning system inside the coaches.
South Eastern Railway (SER) sources said, the train had left Digha on schedule, but a snag developed enroute in both of its generator cars, the main source of electricity to run its air-conditioning system and other facilities.
"The train is a fully air-conditioned one. A leakage of lubricants was detected in one of the generator cars, before the train reached Kanthi. The other generator car also malfunctioned enroute. Maintenance staff were rushed to the spot, but only one of the generators could be made functional after repeated attempts," said Soumitra Majumdar, CPRO, SER.
Railway sources said the train was coming to Howrah with 400 passengers on-board and the agitated passengers refused to let the train move from Kanthi station till proper replacement of generator cars were done and the air-conditioning system started working.
"A spare generator car has been dispatched from Santragachi Yard near Howrah. We will urge the passengers to allow the train to at least reach Panskura, wherefrom the spare car can be attached and the train be brought to Howrah. If that is not done, then we will take the spare car upto Kanthi," Majumdar said, adding, that an inquiry has been ordered in to the snag.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown