DY Patil sworn in as Governor of West Bengal
Kolkata: Bihar Governor D Y Patil on Friday took oath as Governor of West Bengal on additional charge after incumbent M K Narayanan demitted office earlier in the day.
Patil was administered the oath of office by seniormost judge of Calcutta High Court Justice A K Banerjee.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was present on the occasion this evening at the majestic Raj Bhavan here along with senior colleagues in her Cabinet.
Speaker Biman Banerjee, leader of Opposition Surjyakanta Mishra and several diplomats were also present.
The chief minister exchanged pleasantries with the new Governor and presented him with a flower bouquet following the brief ceremony.
They then joined for tea along with several dignitaries, where Patil and Banerjee interacted for nearly half-an-hour.
Talking to reporters later, Banerjee said "I know him (Patil) for long, nice that he has come. Swagatam."
Earlier in the day, M K Narayanan demitted office and left for Chennai along with his wife Padmini.
Narayanan was given a guard of honour by the Kolkata Police`s Mounted Police Division. He had taken over as West Bengal`s 24th Governor on January 24, 2010.
Narayanan`s resignation as West Bengal Governor was accepted by President Pranab Mukherjee yesterday and Bihar Governor D Y Patil was asked to hold additional charge of the post as interim arrangement.
Narayanan resigned on June 30, becoming the fourth Governor appointed during UPA rule to put in his papers after the NDA government prodded some of those Governors to quit.
Eighty-year-old Narayanan was recently questioned by CBI as a "witness" in the AgustaWestland VVIP helicopter deal probe.
Besides Narayanan, Nagaland Governor Ashwani Kumar, Uttar Pradesh Governor B L Joshi and Chhattisgarh Governor Shekhar Dutt have put in their papers since the new government took over at the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!