Earth Hour 2012: Kolkatans switch off lights
Kolkata: To show support for action on
climate change by observing Earth Hour, Kolkatans switched off
lights tonight and opted for a sustainable lifestyle with
Besides hotels, bars, restaurants, shopping malls and
stores, a number of other private organisations also went dark
for an hour from 8.30 pm to spread a symbolic message that it
is possible to take action on global warming.
Being organised by international body WWF, the Earth
Hour campaign is supported by various corporate houses,
organisations, civil society groups, the Kolkata Municipal
Corporation (KMC) and West Bengal government`s environment
Mayor Sovan Chatterjee flagged off a tram tableaux
decked up with `Go Green` messages at Curzon Park. Volunteers,
activists and KMC officials took a 7 km round through the city
in the eco-friendly tram to spread awareness and inspire
individual action towards a better environment.
Luxury hotel chain Park Hotels went dark at all their
properties across the country saving around 5000 KW of energy.
Special lights and smoke-free candles were placed
in the rooms to be used in emergency situation.
Candlelight dinners were organised in restaurants and
`Earth cocktail` served at bars to create a buzz and to
excite the guests towards the cause.
Besides private offices and stores like Oxford
Bookstores, many people in the city switched off lights, ACs,
refrigerators at home for the hour and enjoyed with candle
light with their family.
Among celebrities, Bengali actress Rituparna Sengupta
also pledged her commitment to the cause.
"Together, we can make Kolkata the Earth Hour
Champion, showcasing the power of individual action behind a
common cause. I will switch off for Kolkata, and encourage
citizens to do so as well," she said in her message.
In the nearby Hooghly district, the municipal
corporation of Chandernagore also participated in the
international conservation event.
In India, Earth Hour has reached more than 130 cities,
including tier II and III, small towns and even villages.
Whichever city receives maximum participation from its
citizens, organisations, institutions and government will be
declared the Earth Hour Champion.
Sachin Tendulkar has been appointed as the national
brand ambassador of Earth Hour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof