EC files FIR against Union Shipping Minister`s son
Kolkata: The Election Commission has booked Trinamool Congress candidate from Bijpur Assembly seat in North 24 Parganas district on charges of assaulting members of an EC-appointed team and later suspended a police officer for not taking action.
Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Gupta said today, "The candidate Subhrangsu Roy and some of his supporters physically assaulted members of an EC appointed team yesterday after it
went to Bijpur Assembly seat to erase wall writings on public and private buildings."
"The commission then lodged an FIR at Bijpur police station against 10 persons including Roy - one of the main accused in the incident," Gupta said.
"We had asked for a report from the district magistrate and superintendent of police and have come to know that Roy went to the police station and stayed there for sometime even
after the complaint was lodged," Gupta said.
"With no satisfactory answer about reasons behind Roy not being arrested, we have decided to suspend the IC Partha Pratim Roy," Gupta said.
The candidate, the son of prominent Union Shipping Minister Mukul Roy, could not be traced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Gurdaspur terror attack- As it happened
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- APJ Abdul Kalam: Not Hindu, Not Muslim – Death of an 'Indian'
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India