EC files FIR against Union Shipping Minister`s son
Kolkata: The Election Commission has booked Trinamool Congress candidate from Bijpur Assembly seat in North 24 Parganas district on charges of assaulting members of an EC-appointed team and later suspended a police officer for not taking action.
Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Gupta said today, "The candidate Subhrangsu Roy and some of his supporters physically assaulted members of an EC appointed team yesterday after it
went to Bijpur Assembly seat to erase wall writings on public and private buildings."
"The commission then lodged an FIR at Bijpur police station against 10 persons including Roy - one of the main accused in the incident," Gupta said.
"We had asked for a report from the district magistrate and superintendent of police and have come to know that Roy went to the police station and stayed there for sometime even
after the complaint was lodged," Gupta said.
"With no satisfactory answer about reasons behind Roy not being arrested, we have decided to suspend the IC Partha Pratim Roy," Gupta said.
The candidate, the son of prominent Union Shipping Minister Mukul Roy, could not be traced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say