EC seeks report on complaint against Bengal FM
Kolkata: In an embarrassment to the West
Bengal government, the Election Commission has sought a report from it about complaints of a file-signing spree by Finance Minister Asim Dasgupta after the model code of conduct
came into force.
Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh told reporters here today that he had received a communication from the Election Commission last night through the state`s Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Gupta in this regard.
The communication said the EC had taken note of a
complaint lodged with it by Trinamool Congress leader Subrata
Bakshi that Dasgupta had violated the code of conduct by
signing a number of official files till late into night after
the poll schedule was announced on March 1 and even issued
some government orders that night itself.
On the basis of the complaint, the communication said,
the Commission had asked the chief secretary, through the CEO,
about his opinion on the matter and to inform the commission
about what had happened actually in a report by March 7.
Ghosh said he had asked state Finance Secretary C M
Bachawat for a report as early as possible so that it could be
sent to the EC.
This is the first time that the EC had sought a report
on the complaint against Dasgupta after Chief Election
Commissioner S Y Quraishi announced the state`s six-phase poll
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad