EC selects Pachnanda as new Kolkata police chief
Kolkata: The Election Commission on Thursday
selected R K Pachnanda as the new Commissioner of Kolkata
Police from a list of three IPS officers and referred his name
to the West Bengal government.
The move comes a day after the EC directed the state
government to replace the incumbent officer from the post as
his tenure had crossed three years.
"The Election Commission has considered the three-member
panel of IPS officers sent to it by the state government on
direction and selected the name of R K Pachnanda as the city
police Commissioner," additional chief electoral officer N K
Sahana said here today.
The EC decision in this regard has been referred to the
state chief secretary Samar Ghosh, Sahana said.
An official announcement to this effect by the state
government is pending.
R K Pachnanda, a 1984 batch of IPS, holds the post of
special Additional Commissioner (I) of police at present.
The EC for the first time had yesterday directed the
state government to replace Gautam Mohan Chakraborty as the
Election department sources said that a general order of
the Election Commission on December 14, 2010, to the state
government had stated that any police official, if he is in
the post at the same place for three years and if he is posted
in the home district, he or she should be transferred.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security