EC selects Pachnanda as new Kolkata police chief
Kolkata: The Election Commission on Thursday
selected R K Pachnanda as the new Commissioner of Kolkata
Police from a list of three IPS officers and referred his name
to the West Bengal government.
The move comes a day after the EC directed the state
government to replace the incumbent officer from the post as
his tenure had crossed three years.
"The Election Commission has considered the three-member
panel of IPS officers sent to it by the state government on
direction and selected the name of R K Pachnanda as the city
police Commissioner," additional chief electoral officer N K
Sahana said here today.
The EC decision in this regard has been referred to the
state chief secretary Samar Ghosh, Sahana said.
An official announcement to this effect by the state
government is pending.
R K Pachnanda, a 1984 batch of IPS, holds the post of
special Additional Commissioner (I) of police at present.
The EC for the first time had yesterday directed the
state government to replace Gautam Mohan Chakraborty as the
Election department sources said that a general order of
the Election Commission on December 14, 2010, to the state
government had stated that any police official, if he is in
the post at the same place for three years and if he is posted
in the home district, he or she should be transferred.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31