ED gets Sudipto Sen`s custody for interrogation
Kolkata: The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Wednesday got custody of Sudipto Sen, chairman of Saradha Group and the main accused in a multi-crore chitfund scam, in connection with a money laundering case filed by it.
The vacation Judge of City Sessions Court here granted custody of Sen to the ED till November 1.
This is the first time that a central agency has taken custody of Sen, who had been arrested by Bidhannagar Police of West Bengal in April from Sonmarg in Jammu and Kashmir.
A case of money laundering was registered before the court and a production warrant had been sought of Sen and his close associate Debjani Mukherjee in September.
While the ED interrogated Mukherjee earlier, it could not get the custody of Sen so far owing to investigations by other agencies in connection with several cases lodged against him.
The city sessions court, known as the Bankshall Court, today granted the custody of Sen to ED for interrogation.
A special money laundering court in New Delhi had on October 21 ordered freezing of bank accounts of Sen, to allow probe agencies complete investigations against the firm.
Two banks` accounts were placed under attachment by the ED sometime back. The accounts, under Sen`s name in a private bank in Odisha`s Balasore, hold a total amount of Rs 27,752.80.
The ED, which is investigating the case for alleged money laundering criminalities in the alleged chit fund scheme, suspects this to be "proceeds of crime" and wants these accounts to be kept frozen till the probe is complete.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand