ED to summon WB Left leaders now in Saradha scam
New Delhi/Kolkata: Widening its probe into the multi-crore Saradha chit fund scam, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) has brought under its scanner three leaders of West Bengal CPI(M) for their alleged business association with the schemes launched by the defunct group at some point of time.
Sources said that the agency`s Kolkata zonal office was preparing to summon atleast three CPI-M leaders "to obtain their side of information" in the case in which depositors have raised their grievances for being duped by the group through alleged chit fund operations.
After a five-month long probe, the agency has found some connection of these leaders with Sudipta Sen, the promoter of the Saradha group, and some of his associates, sources in the ED said.
They added that while the Left leaders have not been named in its FIR filed in the case under Money Laundering Laws, the versions of CPI-M leaders were important before filing of charge sheet or any further action by them.
The central probe agency will soon issue summons to these leaders to "join investigations."
"These leaders have already given their side of the evidence to state investigating agencies after the scam came to the fore and hence it was felt necessary to seek their statements in the money laundering case," ED sources said.
The Rs 2,460 crore chit fund scam in West Bengal involving the Saradha Group came to the fore last year when 80 per cent of the depositors complained that their money still remained unpaid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Watch: How a bionic suit helped a paralyzed father make his daughter's wedding day memorable!
- Maoists kill LJP leader, brother in Bihar
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Sania Mirza, Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna enter French Open second round
- Panama probe independent of Bachchan's presence at Modi bash: Union Law Minister
- PM Modi congratulates new Kerala CM