Eid celebrated in Kolkata
Kolkata: Dressed in their festive best, Muslims across Kolkata gathered at the city`s principal mosque, Nakhoda Masjid, since early Tuesday morning to offer prayers and greet one another on Eid-ul-Fitr.
The festival marked the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting.
Greetings of "Eid Mubarak" and "Chaand Mubarak" poured in with the sighting of the thin crescent Shawaal moon Monday evening. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee posted greetings on her official Facebook page.
At the mosque, Muslims hugged one another ignoring class differences. Many of those settled abroad made it a point to return to Kolkata to celebrate Eid with their family members.
The sprawling Red Road in Kolkata saw over 42,000 devotees sitting on rugs and offering prayer.
The mass prayers were followed by day-long merry-making, a large part of which revolves around feasts.
Mughlai cuisine, including varieties of biryanis, kebabs, fresh fruits and home-made desserts, were seen on every platter.
The festival is an all-inclusive affair in Kolkata where people from other faiths also take part in the celebrations.
Fairs and cultural programmes were organised in different pockets of the city where children donning traditional attires were seen revelling in festive spirits.
Women gathered around at henna stalls to adorn themselves with the art while children received money from their elders as gift.
Heavy security arrangements were made across the city and the state to prevent any untoward incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks