Eid celebrated in Kolkata
Kolkata: Dressed in their festive best, Muslims across Kolkata gathered at the city`s principal mosque, Nakhoda Masjid, since early Tuesday morning to offer prayers and greet one another on Eid-ul-Fitr.
The festival marked the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting.
Greetings of "Eid Mubarak" and "Chaand Mubarak" poured in with the sighting of the thin crescent Shawaal moon Monday evening. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee posted greetings on her official Facebook page.
At the mosque, Muslims hugged one another ignoring class differences. Many of those settled abroad made it a point to return to Kolkata to celebrate Eid with their family members.
The sprawling Red Road in Kolkata saw over 42,000 devotees sitting on rugs and offering prayer.
The mass prayers were followed by day-long merry-making, a large part of which revolves around feasts.
Mughlai cuisine, including varieties of biryanis, kebabs, fresh fruits and home-made desserts, were seen on every platter.
The festival is an all-inclusive affair in Kolkata where people from other faiths also take part in the celebrations.
Fairs and cultural programmes were organised in different pockets of the city where children donning traditional attires were seen revelling in festive spirits.
Women gathered around at henna stalls to adorn themselves with the art while children received money from their elders as gift.
Heavy security arrangements were made across the city and the state to prevent any untoward incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!