Eight die after drinking illicit liquor
Canning (WB): Eight people died and 15 others were taken ill after they consumed toxic illicit country liquor at Bishnupur in South 24 parganas district, police said on Monday.
Five people died last night and three others died today in the hospitals, they said.
Residents of Raskhali village in South 24 Parganas district fell ill after consuming the alcohol for the past couple days.
They were admitted in serious condition at Baruipur hospital and National Medical College and Hospital in Kolkata.
Nobody was arrested and angry locals ransacked the liquor joint and damaged it.
The owner of the illegal brewery have been absconding, sources said.
A total of 173 people died after drinking toxic liquor at Sangrampur in nearby Mograhat area of the district few years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends