Eight more babies die in Malda Hospital, toll 26
Malda : Eight more newborns have died at
the Malda District Sadar Hospital since Monday, taking the
crib death toll in the institution to 26 since November 9.
Hospital superintendent Himadri Kumar Ari said two
newborns died on Monday night, three yesterday and another
three this morning.
Three infants died on Wednesday due to congenital problems, he
Of the 26 deaths, 18 were referral cases and 8 were
new-borns, he added.
District Magistrate Srimati Archana said the
administration held a meeting with directors and nurses to
check infant deaths and Malda Medical College Hospital doctors
have been asked to be involved in the paediatric ward of the
Besides, number of warmers in the Sadar Hospital would be
increased by six and 14 stabilising units would be opened in
various parts of the district to provide treatment to ailing
infants before they reach the hospital. The first stabilising
unit would be opened at Milki.
A 30-bed new-born unit would be opened at the Sadar
Hospital and an institutional delivery unit at Molpur, Archana
Ari said the hospital saw 10,000 births on an average
each year and the figure this year had already crossed 11,000.
The situation was compounded due to the dearth of group d
staff in the hospital, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'