Eight more babies die in Malda Hospital, toll 26
Malda : Eight more newborns have died at
the Malda District Sadar Hospital since Monday, taking the
crib death toll in the institution to 26 since November 9.
Hospital superintendent Himadri Kumar Ari said two
newborns died on Monday night, three yesterday and another
three this morning.
Three infants died on Wednesday due to congenital problems, he
Of the 26 deaths, 18 were referral cases and 8 were
new-borns, he added.
District Magistrate Srimati Archana said the
administration held a meeting with directors and nurses to
check infant deaths and Malda Medical College Hospital doctors
have been asked to be involved in the paediatric ward of the
Besides, number of warmers in the Sadar Hospital would be
increased by six and 14 stabilising units would be opened in
various parts of the district to provide treatment to ailing
infants before they reach the hospital. The first stabilising
unit would be opened at Milki.
A 30-bed new-born unit would be opened at the Sadar
Hospital and an institutional delivery unit at Molpur, Archana
Ari said the hospital saw 10,000 births on an average
each year and the figure this year had already crossed 11,000.
The situation was compounded due to the dearth of group d
staff in the hospital, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...