Eight trapped in Howrah building roof collapse rescued
Kolkata: Eight residents - six women and two men - who were trapped in an old four-storey building after a portion of its roof collapsed at Salkia in West Bengal`s Howrah district, were on Wednesday rescued unhurt.
The rescue operation, conducted by the disaster management department and fire brigade in cooperation with the police and local administration, was completed in about four hours.
Fire Brigade sources said they rescued the trapped residents of the building at 10 Sitanath Bose Lane with the help of ladders of three fire tenders which were deployed soon after the incident.
Since the building was very old and two of those trapped were aged and sick, it was very tough to conduct the rescue operation, sources said.
Of the eight trapped, four persons were rescued in the first phase, while it took some time to rescue the remaining four because of their age and sickness, they said.
All these residents were trapped after the debris from the collapsed-roof blocked the stairs.
There was no casualty or injury, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad