Eight trapped in Howrah building roof collapse rescued
Kolkata: Eight residents - six women and two men - who were trapped in an old four-storey building after a portion of its roof collapsed at Salkia in West Bengal`s Howrah district, were on Wednesday rescued unhurt.
The rescue operation, conducted by the disaster management department and fire brigade in cooperation with the police and local administration, was completed in about four hours.
Fire Brigade sources said they rescued the trapped residents of the building at 10 Sitanath Bose Lane with the help of ladders of three fire tenders which were deployed soon after the incident.
Since the building was very old and two of those trapped were aged and sick, it was very tough to conduct the rescue operation, sources said.
Of the eight trapped, four persons were rescued in the first phase, while it took some time to rescue the remaining four because of their age and sickness, they said.
All these residents were trapped after the debris from the collapsed-roof blocked the stairs.
There was no casualty or injury, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores