Eight trapped in Howrah building roof collapse rescued
Kolkata: Eight residents - six women and two men - who were trapped in an old four-storey building after a portion of its roof collapsed at Salkia in West Bengal`s Howrah district, were on Wednesday rescued unhurt.
The rescue operation, conducted by the disaster management department and fire brigade in cooperation with the police and local administration, was completed in about four hours.
Fire Brigade sources said they rescued the trapped residents of the building at 10 Sitanath Bose Lane with the help of ladders of three fire tenders which were deployed soon after the incident.
Since the building was very old and two of those trapped were aged and sick, it was very tough to conduct the rescue operation, sources said.
Of the eight trapped, four persons were rescued in the first phase, while it took some time to rescue the remaining four because of their age and sickness, they said.
All these residents were trapped after the debris from the collapsed-roof blocked the stairs.
There was no casualty or injury, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie