Elderly couple burnt to death over property dispute
Barasat: An elderly couple was allegedly burnt to death in their sleep by their sister-in-law, following a dispute over property, at Dum Dum on the outskirts of Kolkata, the police said on Sunday.
"Ganesh Sikdar (60) and his wife Pushpa Sikdar (54) died in sleep early yesterday when they first-floor home was set on fire by spreading kerosene," DC DD Barrackpore Kalyan Mukherjee said.
On the basis of a complaint lodged by Rinki Sikdar, the daughter of the elderly couple, Jharna Sikdar was arrested, he said.
Jharna, the sister-in-law stay in the ground floor of the house and her husband Pradyut works in a country in the Middle East, the police said.
Accusing Jharna, Rinki alleged to the police that door of her parents room was locked from outside and set ablaze from outside by dousing with kerosene, sources said.
She told the police that her parents were against selling their house to a real estate developer and that was the cause of dispute with Jharna and her husband, the police said.
Rinki was sleeping in a ground-floor room at the two-storey house, the police said.
A local court remanded Jharna to seven days` police custody when she was produced there later in the day, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official