Elderly couple burnt to death over property dispute
Barasat: An elderly couple was allegedly burnt to death in their sleep by their sister-in-law, following a dispute over property, at Dum Dum on the outskirts of Kolkata, the police said on Sunday.
"Ganesh Sikdar (60) and his wife Pushpa Sikdar (54) died in sleep early yesterday when they first-floor home was set on fire by spreading kerosene," DC DD Barrackpore Kalyan Mukherjee said.
On the basis of a complaint lodged by Rinki Sikdar, the daughter of the elderly couple, Jharna Sikdar was arrested, he said.
Jharna, the sister-in-law stay in the ground floor of the house and her husband Pradyut works in a country in the Middle East, the police said.
Accusing Jharna, Rinki alleged to the police that door of her parents room was locked from outside and set ablaze from outside by dousing with kerosene, sources said.
She told the police that her parents were against selling their house to a real estate developer and that was the cause of dispute with Jharna and her husband, the police said.
Rinki was sleeping in a ground-floor room at the two-storey house, the police said.
A local court remanded Jharna to seven days` police custody when she was produced there later in the day, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16