Elderly couple burnt to death over property dispute
Barasat: An elderly couple was allegedly burnt to death in their sleep by their sister-in-law, following a dispute over property, at Dum Dum on the outskirts of Kolkata, the police said on Sunday.
"Ganesh Sikdar (60) and his wife Pushpa Sikdar (54) died in sleep early yesterday when they first-floor home was set on fire by spreading kerosene," DC DD Barrackpore Kalyan Mukherjee said.
On the basis of a complaint lodged by Rinki Sikdar, the daughter of the elderly couple, Jharna Sikdar was arrested, he said.
Jharna, the sister-in-law stay in the ground floor of the house and her husband Pradyut works in a country in the Middle East, the police said.
Accusing Jharna, Rinki alleged to the police that door of her parents room was locked from outside and set ablaze from outside by dousing with kerosene, sources said.
She told the police that her parents were against selling their house to a real estate developer and that was the cause of dispute with Jharna and her husband, the police said.
Rinki was sleeping in a ground-floor room at the two-storey house, the police said.
A local court remanded Jharna to seven days` police custody when she was produced there later in the day, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble