Elderly couple burnt to death over property dispute
Barasat: An elderly couple was allegedly burnt to death in their sleep by their sister-in-law, following a dispute over property, at Dum Dum on the outskirts of Kolkata, the police said on Sunday.
"Ganesh Sikdar (60) and his wife Pushpa Sikdar (54) died in sleep early yesterday when they first-floor home was set on fire by spreading kerosene," DC DD Barrackpore Kalyan Mukherjee said.
On the basis of a complaint lodged by Rinki Sikdar, the daughter of the elderly couple, Jharna Sikdar was arrested, he said.
Jharna, the sister-in-law stay in the ground floor of the house and her husband Pradyut works in a country in the Middle East, the police said.
Accusing Jharna, Rinki alleged to the police that door of her parents room was locked from outside and set ablaze from outside by dousing with kerosene, sources said.
She told the police that her parents were against selling their house to a real estate developer and that was the cause of dispute with Jharna and her husband, the police said.
Rinki was sleeping in a ground-floor room at the two-storey house, the police said.
A local court remanded Jharna to seven days` police custody when she was produced there later in the day, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic