Elderly couple burnt to death over property dispute
Barasat: An elderly couple was allegedly burnt to death in their sleep by their sister-in-law, following a dispute over property, at Dum Dum on the outskirts of Kolkata, the police said on Sunday.
"Ganesh Sikdar (60) and his wife Pushpa Sikdar (54) died in sleep early yesterday when they first-floor home was set on fire by spreading kerosene," DC DD Barrackpore Kalyan Mukherjee said.
On the basis of a complaint lodged by Rinki Sikdar, the daughter of the elderly couple, Jharna Sikdar was arrested, he said.
Jharna, the sister-in-law stay in the ground floor of the house and her husband Pradyut works in a country in the Middle East, the police said.
Accusing Jharna, Rinki alleged to the police that door of her parents room was locked from outside and set ablaze from outside by dousing with kerosene, sources said.
She told the police that her parents were against selling their house to a real estate developer and that was the cause of dispute with Jharna and her husband, the police said.
Rinki was sleeping in a ground-floor room at the two-storey house, the police said.
A local court remanded Jharna to seven days` police custody when she was produced there later in the day, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured