Elderly man crushed to death by tusker
Midnapore: A 67-year-old man was
trampled to death by an elephant on Thursday in Nayagram village in
West Bengal`s West Midnapore district.
Abani Patnaik was taking a morning walk on the road along
a sugarcane field when a tusker suddenly emerged from the
fields and attacked him, police said.
The elephant lifted the man with its trunk to a height of
about 15 feet and threw him to the ground before brutally
smashing his head under its foot with such ferocity that the
man`s blood-soaked entrails got splattered around, the police
The whole incident occurred barely within seconds,
leaving fellow morning walkers dazed, and the elephant
disappeared into the sugarcane field, District Forest Officer
of Kharagpur Forest division, Milan Mondol, said.
He said they did not know the reason behind the
elephant`s sudden violent behaviour, but it could be linked to
the electrocution of a baby elephant about eight to 10 months
ago at the same place.
The killer elephant was among several "residential"
elephants who had stayed back after other members of the herd
went back to the Dalma hills from where they had descended,
the DFO said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?