Elderly man crushed to death by tusker
Midnapore: A 67-year-old man was
trampled to death by an elephant on Thursday in Nayagram village in
West Bengal`s West Midnapore district.
Abani Patnaik was taking a morning walk on the road along
a sugarcane field when a tusker suddenly emerged from the
fields and attacked him, police said.
The elephant lifted the man with its trunk to a height of
about 15 feet and threw him to the ground before brutally
smashing his head under its foot with such ferocity that the
man`s blood-soaked entrails got splattered around, the police
The whole incident occurred barely within seconds,
leaving fellow morning walkers dazed, and the elephant
disappeared into the sugarcane field, District Forest Officer
of Kharagpur Forest division, Milan Mondol, said.
He said they did not know the reason behind the
elephant`s sudden violent behaviour, but it could be linked to
the electrocution of a baby elephant about eight to 10 months
ago at the same place.
The killer elephant was among several "residential"
elephants who had stayed back after other members of the herd
went back to the Dalma hills from where they had descended,
the DFO said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof