Election can be held in Darjeeling hills, says EC observer
Siliguri (WB): An Election Commission
observer has said the situation in Darjeeling hills was right
for holding polls.
EC observer Sudhir Kumar Rakesh, who led a six-member EC
team to the hills, said there was no reason as to why the
Assembly election cannot be hold.
Rakesh, who is Chief Electoral Officer of Bihar, said
yesterday that the team would submit a detailed report to the
EC so that it can take an appropriate decision.
The remarks of Rakesh came against the backdrop of senior
CPI-M leader and state minister Ashok Bhattacharya claiming
that the situation in Darjeeling was not conducive for
The hills are witnessing violent protests by Gorkha
Janamukti Morcha (GJM), which is spearheading an agitation for
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why