Elections Results 2012: TMC candidate wins Bankura
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress Friday retained the Bankura Assembly seat and was leading in Daspur in West Midnapore district, the two places where by-elections were held on June 12.
Election Commission sources said that TMC candidate Minati Mishra won the Bankura seat by a margin of 15,139 votes defeating her nearest CPI(M) rival Nialjan Dasgupta.
She bagged 72,954 votes while Dasgupta polled 57,815 votes. BJP candidate Manisha Dey Chatterjee secured 7,910 votes.
Kashinath Mishra whose death caused the by-election in Bankura, had won the seat by a margin of 29,080 votes in 2011 Assembly poll.
TMC candidate Mamata Bhuniya was leading by 15,955 votes in Daspur at the end of the 18th round of counting against Samar Mukherjee of CPIM.
The by-election in Daspur was necessitated by the death of Ajit Bhuniya of TMC.
Ajit Bhuniya had won the Daspur seat by a margin of about 25,000 votes in the last year`s Assembly poll.
The Congress, however, did not put up candidate in any of the two seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Suspended Bihar BJP MLC Tunna Pandey sent to 12-day custody for molesting minor girl on train
- What a strong statement! Sushma Swaraj blasts Nawaz Sharif for delusional, dangerous Kashmir dream: READ top quotes
- Setback for Arvind Kejriwal as Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan for threatening woman
- Fawad Khan to romance Deepika Padukone in Ranveer Singh starrer 'Padmavati'?
- Solar Impulse 2 begins its final flight of world tour, heads to Abu dhabi