Elections Results 2012: TMC candidate wins Bankura
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress Friday retained the Bankura Assembly seat and was leading in Daspur in West Midnapore district, the two places where by-elections were held on June 12.
Election Commission sources said that TMC candidate Minati Mishra won the Bankura seat by a margin of 15,139 votes defeating her nearest CPI(M) rival Nialjan Dasgupta.
She bagged 72,954 votes while Dasgupta polled 57,815 votes. BJP candidate Manisha Dey Chatterjee secured 7,910 votes.
Kashinath Mishra whose death caused the by-election in Bankura, had won the seat by a margin of 29,080 votes in 2011 Assembly poll.
TMC candidate Mamata Bhuniya was leading by 15,955 votes in Daspur at the end of the 18th round of counting against Samar Mukherjee of CPIM.
The by-election in Daspur was necessitated by the death of Ajit Bhuniya of TMC.
Ajit Bhuniya had won the Daspur seat by a margin of about 25,000 votes in the last year`s Assembly poll.
The Congress, however, did not put up candidate in any of the two seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state