Eminent painter Prokash Karmakar passes away
Kolkata: Eminent painter Prokash Karmakar, passed away this evening following age-related illness, family sources said.
He was 81.
Influenced by the works of Picasso and the classic impressionists, he had won many prestigious awards including Lalit Kala Akademi National Award in 1968. His paintings reflected the degenerating society and the confusion that prevails in modern India.
Karmakar`s works are part of famous galleries like the National Gallery of Modern Art, Lalit Kala Akademi in Delhi and Lucknow, Academy of fine Arts in Kolkata.
Condoling his death, noted artist Jogen Choudhury said his body would be brought to the Academy of Fine Arts here so that people can pay their last respects to the departed soul.
Karmakar came into limelight after 1956 when he started holding street exhibitions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'