Eminent painter Prokash Karmakar passes away
Kolkata: Eminent painter Prokash Karmakar, passed away this evening following age-related illness, family sources said.
He was 81.
Influenced by the works of Picasso and the classic impressionists, he had won many prestigious awards including Lalit Kala Akademi National Award in 1968. His paintings reflected the degenerating society and the confusion that prevails in modern India.
Karmakar`s works are part of famous galleries like the National Gallery of Modern Art, Lalit Kala Akademi in Delhi and Lucknow, Academy of fine Arts in Kolkata.
Condoling his death, noted artist Jogen Choudhury said his body would be brought to the Academy of Fine Arts here so that people can pay their last respects to the departed soul.
Karmakar came into limelight after 1956 when he started holding street exhibitions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what