Endless wait for kin of two West Bengal workers abducted in Iraq
Kolkata: For the families of two workers from Nadia district of West Bengal, it is an agonising, endless wait. While 16 others from the district have returned home from the conflict-hit Iraq this week, the two men have been kidnapped by militants along with 38 other Indians.
In fact, 25 Indian workers, all from West Bengal, were evacuated from Iraq after conflict broke out in that country and have returned to their villages in Nadia, North 24-Parganas and Burdwan districts.
But families of Khokan Sikdar and Samar Tikadar are distraught. Their fate is unknown since they were taken hostage by Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (now called Islamic State) militants around mid-June. Among the 100 abducted, 60 were from Bangladesh.
"It has nearly been a month since I spoke to him last... at that time he said his captors had taken them to Mosul... were feeding them properly they didn`t harm him."
"But now I have no idea what transpired later as his phone rang a few weeks ago when I called him, but there was no answer," Namita Sikdar, wife of abducted Khokon, told a news agency.
"Though we have approached the district administration for help, we didn`t see our Chief Minister react to our plight," she lamented.
In a shaking voice, the mother of two said Khokon was working as a carpenter with a construction company, in the vicinity of late Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein`s home, in Awja village to the west of the Tigris river.
"He told me he was working near Hussein`s home`s boundary wall. The day before he was abducted, around 15th of last month, he said there was heavy bombing and people are scared," she said.
Dipali, wife of Samar Tikadar, said one of the Bangladeshis managed to escape and informed others.
The latest update with her is the insurgents had split the group into two - one from India and the other from Bangladesh.
"We just want him back. Money can be earned in other ways but I am worried about my family," said Namita, who repeatedly tunes in to news on TV for updates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister