Ex Cong MLAs challenge old party in by-elections
Kolkata: The two former Congress MLAs, who were inducted into the West Bengal government on Wednesday, threw a challenge to their former party in by-elections to be held in their constituencies, from which they have resigned.
Of the two, Humayun Kabir, who was a loyalist of Union minister and Congress strongman of Murshidabad district Adhir Chowdhury, told reporters, "By-election will be held to the Rejinagar seat from which I have resigned. I challenge that Congress will come third in that by-poll."
"He may be the hero of Behrampore, but in Rejinagar by-election, I challenge him. My fight will be with the Left and Congress will finish third," Kabir, who had joined Trinamool Congress yesterday, asserted.
Another former Congress MLA from Englishbazar in Malda district Krishnendu Nrayan Chowdhury, who was also inducted into the ministry, was indirectly critical of Union minister A H Khan Chowdhury`s foreign stint.
"I have not come from abroad. I am grown up in Malda. I never fled from Malda. The people there have seen me".
Yesterday, state industry minister Partha Chatterjee said the induction of the two in the Trinamool Congress would strengthen his party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt