Ex Cong MLAs challenge old party in by-elections
Kolkata: The two former Congress MLAs, who were inducted into the West Bengal government on Wednesday, threw a challenge to their former party in by-elections to be held in their constituencies, from which they have resigned.
Of the two, Humayun Kabir, who was a loyalist of Union minister and Congress strongman of Murshidabad district Adhir Chowdhury, told reporters, "By-election will be held to the Rejinagar seat from which I have resigned. I challenge that Congress will come third in that by-poll."
"He may be the hero of Behrampore, but in Rejinagar by-election, I challenge him. My fight will be with the Left and Congress will finish third," Kabir, who had joined Trinamool Congress yesterday, asserted.
Another former Congress MLA from Englishbazar in Malda district Krishnendu Nrayan Chowdhury, who was also inducted into the ministry, was indirectly critical of Union minister A H Khan Chowdhury`s foreign stint.
"I have not come from abroad. I am grown up in Malda. I never fled from Malda. The people there have seen me".
Yesterday, state industry minister Partha Chatterjee said the induction of the two in the Trinamool Congress would strengthen his party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning