Ex-judge gets threat calls for criticising Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: After he criticised West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for her "corruption in judiciary" remarks, retired Calcutta High Court judge and former Lokayukta Samaresh Banerjee has complained about receiving anonymous threat calls, police said Friday.
Bidhannagar police commissioner Rajeev Kumar told IANS that Banerjee had filed two complaints Thursday night stating that he received two anonymous threat calls.
"Our investigation showed that the first call was made from a mobile procured in the name of woman but being used by some other person. We are trying to locate him."
"I have no doubt that the calls were made after my remarks directed at (chief minister) Banerjee," the retired judge said.
Banerjee said he received the anonymous calls late Wednesday and Thursday evening. One of the callers claimed he was a journalist with an English daily and threatened him for his comments.
The calls were made hours after he participated in a panel discussion on a television channel and made critical remarks against the chief minister for her comments that she made at the state assembly Tuesday.
Following the threats, the former Lokayukta filed a written complaint with the Bidhannagar Police station and also made available to the police the telephone number from which the calls were made.
He demanded arrests of the culprits and also expressed concern over the whole issue.
Banerjee, who retired as the state`s first Lokayukta in February 2009, said that if people lose faith in the judiciary, there will be no democracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?